Sunday 14 October 2007

A place of prayer



This prayer seems to be cropping up in lots of places at the moment and well worth including here.

A Franciscan Benediction

May God bless you with discomfort
At easy answers, half truths and superficial relationships,
So that you may live deep within your heart

May God bless you with anger
At injustice, oppression and exploitation of people,
So that you may work for justice, freedom and peace.

May God bless you with tears
To shed for those who suffer pain, rejection, hunger and war,
So that you may reach out your hand to comfort and
To turn their pain into joy.

And may God bless you with enough foolishness
To believe that you can make a difference in the world,
So you can do what others claim cannot be done
To bring justice and kindness to all our children and the poor

To find a space, set aside time is never easy, especially when the doing is so important.
Last week I spent a day at Ministeracres with a great bunch of folk; all in similar ministries and needing time out to be.
In the opening session it was very clear to me I was in the right place.........
Note to morning office: Schedule more time throughout the day to lay down the "doing".

2 comments:

awareness said...

Beautiful picture.....where is it taken? I reminds me of the ruins in York......what I remember of them. It was a long time that I visited that wonderful city.

I have printed off this prayer and now keep it close to my computer at work.

J Pearson said...

This is Egglestone Abbey near Barnard Castle County Durham. The young lady in the picture is Vanessa.
A very peaceful afternoon, good weather and very few folk around.
A time to think, a time to pray tapping into centuries of prayer.