Monday 29 October 2007

Night noises



Last night as I settled down to sleep, I was aware of noises around the friary. Everyone had retired some time ago and would be sound asleep by now. It was a still night and the moon shone through the trees (I like to leave my curtains open once I am in bed). The old friary has many rooms and corridors and it seemed as if I could hear it's groans and creaks from one end to the other. During the warmer months of the year you can expect the old building to creak a little as it cools down but this is autumn and far from warm. I was tempted to take a walk through to the other wing but sleep was calling and I was past the point of slumbers.

Voices in the kitchen and mutterings in the library, footsteps in the hallway and a general buzz through the house. How was I to get to sleep? It had been a busy day with guests, always good to see folk and listen to their stories; they come - some to unload and some just to find space. For the brothers it is a time of fuss and busyness, preparing food and making things comfortable whilst being available. A group in the library were pouring out their hearts while brothers in the kitchen were worried there would not be enough soup.

All in all it was a good day the echoes raced through my mind and I tried to quieten them. I began to walk through the day, praying a blessing as I went; through the corridors and rooms pausing for a while and bringing to mind our visitors. The old friary was settled and somewhere along the way I slipped into sleep (hope I didn't miss anyone out).
Note to office; a walk before sleep is very beneficial.

1 comment:

awareness said...

I find the same when I reflect on a day of many meaningful interactions......the voices stay with me as I process it all. An evening walk or a quiet time with a hot cup of tea allows me to settle the noises.

So does my writing. In fact I think I had accumulated many conversations and encounters in my memory bank.....echoing to me that it still triggers and feeds my writing on most days.