Sunday 22 February 2009

Where it belongs

A ticket for the church bazaar; I would be only 6-years old and can't say I remember it, though I am sure I would have been there. Mum and many ladies of the parish would have been knitting, sewing and making jars of produce through the year, I am told it was a bazaar of great quality and variety. Presents would be bought and put away till Christmas. A ticket, almost 50-years old; to admit one person for just one shilling. I don't think eBay will be interested in it; so where has it been for all these years? Well it has been just where it belonged, in a drawer in the desk and why, I have no idea, but I was glad to find it - and leave it right there (apart from sharing this glimpse of it with you). It is possible that this was the last bazaar held under the name St Philomena as the Holy See in 1962 removed her name from all liturgical calendars; St Philomena's School and Church became The Sacred Heart.

I was wondering (as I do) how much difference there is between nothing and something? Can we really imagine, nothing? the absence of everything. The great film "Never ending story" fears the approaching "nothing", every thing is consumed by it and within it is - nothing - Nothing must be the state we fear most, but never experience in the physical; what we create/ experience, mentally/ spiritually can be something else.

There is little difference between nothing and something, because that something may be very small indeed. But of course the difference is huge, for no matter how small something may be, held in the hand, it gives us hope and puts us a million miles away from nothing.

Note to evening office: Romans 8:38-39 - He took the nothing, that we should have hope.
PS - Looking forward to Lent.
.

2 comments:

awareness said...

just think of the possibility of a tiny little seed held in the palm of your hand...it's something isn't it?

something always has a tale to tell...just like your ticket.

nothing? hmmmm.....what story does it tell?

hope you're well...thinking of you today David.

J Pearson said...

Dana - thank you for your thoughts; I believe it may have been a mustard seed!