Tuesday 3 February 2009

Come and see.


Last weekend we had a lodger, a four legged one roaming around the friary; intent on finding the cat. Situation resolved, the cat lived upstairs and Poppy lived downstairs; that is until bedtime. Poppy was used to sleeping in the bedroom so there was a little shuffling of doors, cat & dog until morning when the process was reversed. Brother Cyril was much amused and suggested leaving them in a room together for a few minutes. I needn't have fussed so much for when they did meet, apart from the noise there were no claws or teeth to be seen. She was good company and joined me on my evening walk through the village.

We have had snow, gales, rain - you could say we have had a lot of weather recently. Just the other night as I put the dog in the garden, our tawny owl was hooting for all he was worth only 15-yards away from me, silhouetted against the clear sky. The easterly wind has brought the cold and it is strange to see the waves coming in diagonal to the shore. Yesterday a flock of Lapwings were heading to the moors and the seagulls were charging around as if on a roller-coaster.

I am prompted by my friends blogsite "Awareness" when she uses John O'Donahue's words:-

"The Mystery never leaves you alone. Behind your image, below your words, above your thoughts, the silence of another world waits. A world lives within you."


I seem to pop in and out of other worlds as easy as getting on a bus. My teacher used to say, "Boy! where in the world are you today"? Portal is a fascinating word, we are very familiar with Si Fi time-shifts, dimensions, warps and portals. TV programmes such as Stargate, Dr Who and Primeval. Computer jargon uses it - in fact, throw this word into a sentence and it will be regarded as impressive. Portal: The word meaning gate or gateway, doorway, entrance, particularly one of great importance; the entrance to a library, portal of knowledge. I see portals everywhere I look; windows, trees, music, art, words, people, emotions, candles. Each one inviting me to step through the doorway and enter in. I know they are there but my busy world causes me to walk right past; dare to pause for a while........


Note to evening office: Behold I stand at the doorway and knock - enter in.
.

4 comments:

Gilly said...

That is a beautiful bit of ruin! where is it?

Lapwings are finding it difficult to hold their own these days as apparently breeding sites are being used for unsuitable things (as far as lapwings are concerned!) There aren't many "wild and unkempt" places now for birds to nest in peace.

J Pearson said...

Hi Gilly.
The ruin is Guisborough Priory, taken recently on a cold January weekend. We are fortunate with the Lapwings - Pewits as my father called them; I was patrol leader of the Pewits in St Peter's Scouts. Amazing birds and great acrobats.

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

Uesd to lie in the grass on the fells and watch the pewits, you're right their acrobatic abilty is amazing..and very calming to watch I found

awareness said...

I feel like i've had a short visit with you which i would like to do one day live and in person. thank God for little portals to broaden our horizon, to link friends who live in very different parts of the world.....portals help unfold new paths which lead to new mysteries. :)

Your descriptions of all around you make me smile.... let us always remember to stop every once in a while and look through the doorway....