Wednesday 2 December 2009

Eye water

 

Eye

Early morning at the friary and I thought I had better do a little ironing (we are a little behind in that department). iPod plugged in and the rest of the world slipped into another space.

My good friend Dana wrote recently about tears and I had to say to her this is not a common state for me. Perhaps it was the music – The Priests, Pie Jesu. There is something about Latin, sung and with such emotion; my eyes filled up and I didn’t know why. I am of an age that still remembers the Latin Mass, Benediction and Corpus Christi marches through the town. This emotional water is more than just nostalgia, more than reminiscing;  my feelings were that of the communion of saints.

Note to morning office: Communion of saints extends to those still with us; who shall we meet today?

4 comments:

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

...the Communion of Saints does indeed extend to those still with us.
Living in a city, we never quite know who we are going to meet next.
My joy has been seeing so very many people new to our country.....with a vibrant faith!
Every day is a surprise

J Pearson said...

Be in the heart of each to whom I speak;
in the mouth of each who speaks unto me.
Northumbria Community morning office.

awareness said...

I believe there are certain pieces of music that transport us to a place where that spiritual union comes together. Whenever I feel a sense of communion or a true connection with a feel of the eternal, I swear I hear music in my head and feel a swelling in my heart. ! AND, it brings me to tears.

I love that music can stir us so deeply that the tears catch us by surprise. Who used the phrase.... Surprised by joy? Dickenson?

J Pearson said...

"Music is a higher revelation
than all wisdom and philosphy.
Music is the electrical soil
in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents."
Ludwig van Beethoven