Thursday 3 April 2008

Tin of buttons










t

Time to discover the contents of Mum's button tin, (do I really want to do this). The tin potentially holds treasures, memories, forgotten toys and a thingamajig; of course it could just be full of buttons and then, I would wonder what to do with it?

An old Quality Street tin that has accumulated bits n bobs was poured out on the kitchen table, long after all had gone to bed. Big sister would recognise most of these 1960's style buttons and buckles; miraculous medals appear in all Mum's boxes and drawers (the tin is no exception); a small crucifix next to a white overall button. There are random numbers from a game and metal puzzle chains, did the cog wheel come from one of my old trains and why did we keep it? An old fashioned collar stud and a dice; I wondered long and hard as to how the old curtain rail hook ran along the track. The colours don't really interest me but the shapes and what is that pipe thing? I took out some tiddlywinks and practised my skill; an old half penny and some of the buttons had thread left on (recycling is not a new idea).

Brother Cyril no doubt would give me some long explanations to all these haberdashery gadgets but I think I will just put them back in the tin. Really I should throw it away, especially now I know there are no hidden treasures but I guess it won't take up much room and I may be looking for a dice or safety pin one day.

Two days ago (early morning) I paused at the top landing window; I often spend a moment here taking in the view. At that moment a pair of swans came flying in from my left, they rose up along the valley and past the viaduct - I wanted to rush for my camera or binoculars but decided just to stand there, and watch the beauty of those enormous birds. Such long necks and a rear engine with massive wings Wow! They turned by the large hotel and headed in land, where were they going? I assumed swans stayed pretty close to their home base. I could not have been more impressed by a pair of Spitfires.

Life is chugging on quite slowly here and folk come and go; time itself seems to be passing quickly but the hands of the clock hardly move. I am aware of things approaching and of trying to fit it all in - then in one single moment, as I stop. This pair of swans fly right across my line of sight. As if they were waiting for me..

Note to evening office: Lord hold on to me and I will hold on to you; together we will meet the moments and value each one.
.

2 comments:

awareness said...

I love your thoughts here.....and I hope He does hold on to you to meet the moments together.

I inherited an old tin of buttons and whatnots from my Grandmother when she passed on a couple of years ago. She was a seamstress on the side and at one point taught it in nightschool....a woman with only a Grade 4 education teaching at the high school. She was brilliant at it. :)
I also have her very old sewing machine too. I can't make it work, but I can't seem to get rid of it. So many outfits were made for my sisters and i.....and for our dolls when we were young.

I pulled out the tin of buttons and buckles the other day and gave it to my fashion sense 14 year old daughter......it was like I had given her buried treasure. She was all questions about the shapes and designs. lovely.

haven't seen any swans along my river, but was visited last week by a soaring bald eagle.... he entertained my son and i for a good hour........soaring so majestically.

J Pearson said...

It is amazing how things that seem invisible, become important. Reading your blog today "Ordinary and unnoticed"; this is life.
It is not what we do but the why that we do it, which gives away who we are.