Sunday 12 August 2007

Don’t follow me (I’m lost too).

I have been wondering what I can tell you about life at the friary and how I can make it interesting; I would not want this to deteriorate into a soap opera – though I understand some soaps did start this way (oh my life)! Heartbeat started out as short stories and Herriot the veterinary. Fr Ted of course is totally fiction and has no basis in real life, written by comedy writers Arthur Mathews and Graham Linehan, who were educated by Vincentian and Marist’s.

Life is how we live it, and in the realms of the friary and monastery I have always (as long as I can remember) had the invitation “Come and see” the life has always called to me – come and see.

Jesus only ever said one thing: “come, follow me” and if the friary, monastery or home says one thing, should it not be – come and see.

How do we live together? I am sure you would like me to express the entire holy and perfect relationships, activities and completeness of our community. Sorry to disillusion you, we are just human and fall short in many ways. We have a structure in prayer, worship and devotion. There are formats for most of our way of life (our rule) but these can be empty if our way with each other is without grace.

We are not always good at recognising each other’s needs and prefer to charge ahead with our own images and agendas. Penitent workers in the vineyard is a good description, as through our format / structure we bring to mind our shortcomings on a daily basis.

We can feel safe within a structure and keeping strictly within the guidelines, we can blame someone else if things go wrong. Jesus teaching takes on the shape of a heart into which we are called – Come follow me.

Note to evening office, when I am looking at formats and structures, picture a heart.

2 comments:

awareness said...

I think your descriptions and your reflection of life in a friary will be interesting anyway you slice it.

Because my world is so far removed from your world, I'm fascinated to learn about your world through the stories you choose to share.

come with me.......should replace once upon a time.......it is an alluring way to begin a story.... and we all know Jesus was a great storyteller.

take care.

J Pearson said...

awareness: How quickly we dismiss our own stories / experiences, the life around us. If only I could draw or paint like some of the people I have met.
But come and see; together many candles make much light. The newness to me of these Blog's (what a strange name)is amazing and encouraging. Thank you for your insight and sharing.