Monday 16 July 2007

22nd April 2007


You are here...


Walking through a large shopping centre, two stories high and all the shops look the same. Yes I know they all have names and sell different things, but they are still just the same (little boxes); and at every turn there is more of the same.

This excursion / expedition into unknown territory was something I was happy to do and the company was very pleasant; still I felt like an alien in this environment and vulnerable because I was now on my own. Smiling and apologising as I bump into folk, they seem to head straight for me no matter which way I turn. Then I saw what at first looked like a side show where one might win a 20p prize for a 50p ticket; it turned out to be a map of the centre listing all the shops – colour coded and in bold letters
You are here.

Now I am trying to tell you how I felt when I read that, it seemed to be shouting at me as if were stupid (and I’m Not)! I know I am here; but what the layout is saying bares little relationship to where I am. I look around frantically to get my bearings because I want to believe the map and eventually find my way back to the car. Do I trust my instinct as I am sure I came this way earlier and all the time I am getting more annoyed with this statement – You are here.

Through the noise I heard a familiar voice – David, David, I am here. All was well, my companion would lead me back to the car explaining all the time how simple it was and don’t you remember these shops etc. That evening it was a joy to be back at the friary (I felt safe) and my evening office concluded with You are here. Amen

No comments: