Thursday 25 July 2019

Time to Think


Many years ago now, I was given a wristwatch, it was a gift from a friend. My friend had owned the watch several years and then acquired a new one. I had to admit at that time, my own watch was looking tired. I said thank you, and each year visited our local jeweller to have a battery fitted. It’s a fine watch and very comfortable on my wrist.

Recently I was on an errand for an old gentleman, which required a visit to the jewellery shop. When all was done, I spoke to the watchmaker. “Oh by the way” I said, “I seem to have difficulty in changing day and date on my watch, when at the end of the month it doesn't carry on correctly.” The watchmaker looked at me and said, “Well it's quite simple really, pull out the winder halfway, turn clockwise to change the day and anticlockwise to change the date.” Was it really that simple? I didn’t even know there was a half-way point. I was so convinced that it was necessary to wind the pointer back and forth past the 12 O’clock marker, and as a result never bothered with the day date indicators.

If I had the watch from new, I would have received a set of instructions. If someone had told me sooner, I could have enjoyed the full functionality of the watch – perhaps I should have asked, rather than presume it was just a cumbersome process. Why did I not think, there must be an easier way, surely a designer would not create something that was awkward?
I'm a little embarrassed to admit that this story is true. Though as I reflect upon it, I can clearly see parallels in social, emotional and many other parts of my life's journey. Handbooks (instructions) are available, questions can be asked.

We should take time to focus in – so we can be more effective on the outside.

No comments: