Monday 4 June 2012

Olympic Torch


A few months ago now, at an inter-church meeting, a lady announced she had nominated me to run with the Olympic torch (me, run)? I hesitated and said yes that it was OK.
Time went by and the voting process went in my favour; this was starting to get worrying. You see, I am not an athlete and in everything I do, I like to be in the background; I have always said, I prefer to be behind the scenes, not a front man. The day came when my email confirmed I was to run with the flame and in the town where I work, people seemed so happy for me and I would not want to let them down.

I was thinking this morning how God has a sense of humour, throwing me into a place where for a short while, all eyes will be on me. As the day itself draws nearer, I am actually getting more excited and really looking forward to it (what a change). I enjoyed so much talking to year six recently in the local primary school; they had such wonderful questions and again it centred on me with the torch. I asked them if they ever got birthday cards from uncles or aunts far off? Almost all of them put their hand up; I asked what was important, the card or the postman? Also, what was important, the picture on the card or what your uncle wrote inside; children know the answers.

A bonus to this run (walk) is that I get to keep my Olympic torch as it is the flame that is passed from person to person; strange how such a simple act of sharing this light, draws such a large crowd of people. I have been invited to talk to young people at the youth club of my old parish next month (with the torch). Can't wait now - so excited - so much to share - haven't we all?

2 comments:

awareness said...

How wonderful David! Have you run with it yet? The torch for the Winter Olympics in Vancouver was run right across the country. Big celebrations of light and human connections.
Grace. A grace moment.

J Pearson said...

Hey Dana. Yes, it was more of a brisk walk, many of the schools I visit were there; it was amazing. The torch is beautiful - I get to keep it, my sponsor was Coca Cola and my leg was through Saltburn, the sun shone so bright that day. It was a very strange feeling to pass the flame and for my torch to be turned off; but we have to pass things on - don't we.