Sunday 2 January 2011

Without intention

P1090432The silver birch in the friary garden, adorned by a beauty that was not of its making.

New years arrive more frequently than they used to (or at least, that is my perception). I am feeling I have more to look back upon than to look forward to. Until you begin to see the possibilities  of what will go on beyond our time.

Moulding/ creating with a piece of clay in my hand; I shape and give form to to what was just a lump of clay. I begin to bring into being a thought, a feeling, an idea that is more than words or a sketch; this is more part of myself than I would dare to admit. It would take a fraction of a second to re-form this creation back to a lump of clay – so take a moment to hold it in the palm of your hand and try not to compare it to anything else (it is unique). As it stands, it is perfect; without criticism from within or without, it just is.

How easily we put down our dreams and creative thoughts in this competitive and critical world. It seems that when we compare our efforts to something else, this is when we decide we are not good enough. So the next time you get your hands on a piece of clay or plasticine, mould a thought and accept it as perfect, comparing it to nothing else.

Note to evening office: I am a creative being, moulded by the creator – who said He was pleased with what he saw.

4 comments:

Jude said...

Well said Brother. Creating is part of our God-given nature. Even Michaelangelo's paintings are daubs compared to our Dad's creation but He receives our efforts with delight as any parent would.

J Pearson said...

Thanks Jude and a happy new year to you Brian and all the family.
Come up to the friary for supper sometime soon..
David.

Sarah said...

I spent some of New Year's Day making a playdough snap snap(crocodile!) for my two year old nephew. I made the body and let him put the feet on. He never laughed at my poor attempt at model making and I never criticised him for putting all the feet on the side of the body making it a very lopsided creature! To both of us it was wonderful...until it was time to squash him back in the pot!

Sarah said...

I hasten to add it was the crocodile and not my nephew I squashed back in the pot!! It's very late as I'm typing this....