Sunday 12 September 2010

Vision

A 4-year old visitor to the friary today was fascinateP1080644d with my old binoculars.  I offered them to him, so he could watch the ships coming into port; he told me he already had a bright red pair.

I took time to explain never to look into the sun through these binoculars and how to adjust the focus. Would he understand the words focus, blurred, sharp or clear?

The old binoculars live on the landing windowsill and are set for my eye correction, they would need some adjustment before anyone else could use them. By handing these glasses to someone else does not guarantee them to see the same as I do.

The little boys bright red binoculars probably came free with a comic and have only clear plastic lenses; ideal for his world at the moment. For now, he understands that things in the distance can become clearer and he can come and take these glasses when he is ready.

Note to evening office: When curiosity finds a method; change often follows.

 

No comments: