Friday 28 May 2010

3rd South Bank St Peters


Bluebird 

Back in 1966 a young boy was part of a scout group near Middlesbrough; they were due to put on (what I believe) was their first and only Gang Show. Much practising went into the production and help was drafted in from the area. I still have the programme somewhere and must find it out. The rendition above of Bluebird has yours truly somewhere in there; nobody seemed to worry too much about staying in tune.

Now I have found the programme, I can see it was May 1966 and a celebration of their 40 years. Someone had the foresight to set up - what was - even then an old spool tape recorder. Being a bit of a techno... and having the original tape in our family, I did a conversion to modern cassette tape. I now find myself years later converting it all to Mp3.
 

Back in 1930, my fathers scout master was Leo Atkinson and mine in 1966 was
Derek Maughn (Skip). Happy days.

Note to evening office: Taps -
Day is done, gone the sun,
from the hills, from the lake from the sky.
All is well, safely rest,
God is nigh.

2 comments:

awareness said...

Fading light, dims the sight,
And a star gems the sky,
gleaming bright.
From afar, drawing nigh,
falls the night.

:)

J Pearson said...

Have been asked to talk on Radio Tees about the Gang show and play a few tracks; how exciting - and spending a night under canvas with a few cousins tomorrow night - it doesn't get any better :)