Thursday 8 October 2009

Family - friends

A recent funeral and gathering of family, it is noticeable how the uncles and aunts are greatly out-numbered by the cousins; meeting cousins I had not seen in 20 plus years was staggering. Familiar faces that I struggle to see the child I remember, but then as the conversation takes hold and we recapture the old stories of holidays and expeditions, it all comes back (well, most of it).
Ken who we used to live next door to us in Middlesbrough over 47-years ago, we moved away when I was only 8 and I am sure I have not seen him since.

I can't quite get over Andrew and how alike he is to our paternal grand father, even following his footsteps in joinery. I sincerely hope we can keep in touch, though I know my weakness in this area.
We deal very well with things close up but once in the distance they seem unreachable; cousins from all corners of the UK, Jamaica and a man made floating island just off the coast of Mexico "Joyskey" - Rishi and I had a great chat about past and future.
.

2 comments:

awareness said...

I'm the same way. I don't live near any of my cousins or other relatives and rarely see them. What has helped strangely enough is facebook. For the first time, I'm connected to a hand full of them as an adult. When I saw many of them last year at my parent's 50th wedding anniversary, it was so wonderfully affirming... like spending time with the roots that somehow were buried.

sometimes you look into the eyes of a cousin and its like looking into a mirror. There is a very familiar reflection.

Hope you're well David. How is the book coming? :)

J Pearson said...

Hi Dana. Lovely to hear from you, just back from Spain. Will drop some photos on later. Book is at a bit of a stand-still due to other commitments, hoping to catch up before the New Year.