Tuesday 21 July 2009

Open diary - Empty head


A page in my diary void of text, indicating a quiet week without engagements; "Not on your life!" This may well have been a totally manic week of unplanned urgent events, a chain reaction of people, needs and support. Can we be too busy to be effective, too attentive to notice or too talkative to hear?

I always regard my memory as poor and unreliable, often letting me down in the worst ways. We laugh and joke about it being an age thing but I wonder about that. Just as any data base, the more information we have the longer it takes to search. The difference between us and a PC is that we get to choose the answer, which may or may not be correct. My head by now must be overflowing with fact and fiction, no wonder I get confused. I manage to backup my PC to storage discs and file somewhere till I need them; I hear there is a great PC in the clouds providing online data storage that you can access from the web or your mobile...

Just like my diary, the data needs to be put in first; more time in what is already a busy day/ week. If only there was a way to download my thoughts, archive my ideas and store my engagements. My perception of the way things used to be, was more time to do the things that matter and less busyness. Often it is good to look back and see how others coped with what I am sure was the same as today. Time was always found to share, tell stories, listen, teach and learn; a time for emptyness, to recolect and reflect; make plans and dream. If these precious times are squeezed out of our life, no wonder we struggle to cope.

Note to morning office: Lord find me in the emptyness of the day, that I may share the things that are important to me. Draw me into that secure moment in time, that I may need nothing but you; and be compelled to return, time after time.
.

2 comments:

awareness said...

My memory for details used to be top notch. I never had to write anything down. To do lists weren't needed. Then.... a whole bunch of things converged to throw me into a different frame of mind....children, work, chores, responsibilities, fulfilling all my other roles.... I found I couldn't even remember all that I needed to buy at the grocery store. I knew I was in trouble when I'd get in the car to drive somewhere and consistently end up in the grocery store parking lot instead of the correct destination!!! I took the summer off that year and de-cluttered my stressy brain!

My favourite time of day to seek out that emptiness is early morning. I'm not pulled away or needed. It's just me, the early birds and grace between their tweeting notes....

If I don't take that time to find that stillness, I feel even more flustered and overwhelmed all day.

J Pearson said...

Strange, it used to be nights when all were asleep but these days it is early morning for me too.