Sunday 26 October 2008

Taken advantage


October already; and the clocks are adjusted to to give a little more light in the evening, albeit for a short while. All this year I have been promising myself a keep fit programme, a personal exercise routine. It has not materialised and only occasionally have I attempted press-ups and physical jerks. Only today on the radio we were reminded about the winter months and a feeling of, needing to stay in bed (oh that it was possible)! Evidently we need to Up our physical exercise to combat the lethargy caused by short daylight hours. Perhaps I should re-think my fitness strategy to help me through these winter months; we are assured that within 1-2 weeks we will feel a benefit in our alertness and motivation.

I disappear often enough from the friary so I really ought to focus my exercise time within the friary boundaries, but where? and would a jogging suit and trainers help? I doubt if there is a suitable book in our library so I ought to call into the local library, or talk to those nice people at the wellbeing centre; this is all getting very scary. Brother Timothy may be interested in joining me, we could do this together and encourage each other. Maybe by March I will have a programme sorted out. It seems life fills up with so many things and those that are important float to the top of the bucket and spill over the edge.

Arthur is a kind old gentleman (widower) who lives close by, I was walking back from the village yesterday when I saw him coming up the hill, the wind was against him as he stumbled and regained his balance leaning against the wall of the terraced houses. I moved quickly towards him and asked if he was alright, "I'm jiggered" he said. As I spoke to him he recognised me and I suggested we walked back to his house together. "No, I will be alright - I just need a few things from the shop". Suggestions of my going to the shop for him or taking him in the car brought the same answer. "No, I might take advantage of you". What do you do, it was very windy and Arthur is frail, seeing him fall in the street did not bare thinking of, yet he was insistent; what do you do?

I understand a persons independence and also when they come to a stage of frailty, it was so hard to let him go on. Back at the friary I busied myself with simple chores within sight of the road, watching for Arthur's return; he told me, the wind will be behind me on my way back, and he was right. I walked out to meet him and saw him to his door reminding him of our help when he needs us. He looked much better than earlier and said he fancied a cup of tea.

Note to evening office: Is it wrong to be taken advantage of?
.

3 comments:

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

lovely to see you back

J Pearson said...

Thank you Muddledmarketplace; you are indeed a friend and very welcome here.

awareness said...

Choice and the sense of independence on both sides and all is well in the taken advantage of department.

I met up with my friend's mother today at the market. I hadn't seen her in 10 years, though had been updated about her health and her husband's health from my friend. However, I was shocked to see that her vibrancy was all but depleted. She was frail....her husband too frail to leave the car and venture into the market. What wasn't depleted was her determination to fight against "the wind" and be in control of her life.

Gotta give them credit and space, right....it's a good thing to continue to keep an eye from a distance for our own piece of mind as well as theirs.