Sunday 17 August 2008

Step out in faith

Two weeks ago I was a visiting speaker at one of our local parishes. The two masses (Saturday evening and Sunday morning) were quite different, this had nothing to do with the fact that we had a different priest for each mass. Singing was accompanied by music on Saturday, which always helps me to sing along and not worry about anyone hearing me; Sunday on the other hand was minus a musician. I settled at the back on the end of a pew so I could get out at the prescribed time. I was spotted by a friend and encouraged to join him. After crossing the aisle and greeting him he turned to an elderly couple and said "you can have your seat back now" evidently I had been sat in their pew. I guess I get stuck in a form of worship that has been with me for some time and as much as the mass is the same wherever you go "it isn't"

I spoke about faith, that which we believe - our common faith in God; but more about faith in what can be, and our active part in that process. Sitting and thinking that, if God wanted to He could move that mountain! was not what I had in mind.
In Joshua 3 they were carrying the arc of the covenant and came to the river Jordan (it was in flood) and it was only as their feet stepped out into the water that the upstream stopped flowing, piled up and they crossed over. I chose today's picture because it shows someone stepping out with direction; (a little help from photoshop) the contours of the land are disturbed - as we step forward - changes occur.


After mass I took a copy of Catholic Voice, an interesting article about adult formation and welcoming back those who had left the faith (as we say). There had been a couple of workshops led by the Redemptorists with a good turn out. The main point that came out was "the necessity of superb liturgy that heightens our sense of awe and emphasises the transcendence of God" - Wow, I am up for some of that!

Note to evening office: Be in awe of God in every day things, that we may worship in simplicity and truth.
PS - The book - Chapter one is well on the way.
.

3 comments:

awareness said...

My 10 year old son asked me about Adam and Eve the other day while we were driving to his baseball game. He admitted he found the story a little farfetched, and preferred to believe in our evolution from ape. He's a DEEP thinker my Max.

Then, he asked me my opinion. I told him that I struggle with many of the stories from the Bible like that and for a long time it affected my level of believing in religion and in God. But, I have since realized that many of the stories are perhaps just that....but with lessons woven in them for us to learn from.

Why do I bring this up? Because I have also realized that for me it truly is through the everyday things in life where I find the most faith affirming awe. If it wasn't for the concious recognition of those ordinary yet amazing things I would still be dismissive of God in my life.

I always try to point out to my children the little glimpses we are offered every day. This morning, 3 hummingbirds were feasting on my flowers. It was my son who noticed them first......and we stood in awe as these amazing little winged birds sipped nector.

J Pearson said...

Danna.
I have been taking more notice of Pigeons recently and appreciating their speed and agility; most often dissregarded as uninteresting.
I work with people who also seem to be dissregarded and not valued; there seems to be more truth and reality in some of these quarters.

I did think about calling the book Brother David - Pigeons & Squirrles, but that would be too missleading. I am sure a title will come to mind in due cause.
Enjoy the weekend.

awareness said...

had a stare down with a curious pidgeon this morning on my way home from the market.

i'm so pleased your writing is coming along. a friend of mine whose a full time writer popped over last night and during the conversation, she gave me some good good good advice on how to move forward with my own book writing process. So, am feeling like perhaps its doable for me as well.